“Asking Elephant-sized Prayers”
Another Patton Associates S-M-A-R-TBriefing™
I have chosen to expand the territory of my affirmation prayers far beyond the slim boundaries of only what I now want. Instead, I explore the vast and uncharted territory of what God wants for me and mine.
Is it not fair that, if God is willing to do whatever we ask of Him which is in His will, that we not offer to do the same in return?
Our Master and Saviour commands Jesus Followers in several verses to ask for anything we are “willing” (‘teleo’ Greek) to ask for. It’s much easier to get infatuated with Jesus’ prayer approach when we understand it in its full context.
Because one really believes and acts on what Jesus says in in John 14:21 and John 17:23, the Bible states clearly that we are true Followers of His:
1. “Whatever you ask for in prayer believe that you have received it, and it will be yours!” (Mark 11:23)
2. “And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” (John 14: 13–14)
3. “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15: 7–8)
4. “You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you. I have appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he will give it to you.” (John 15:16)
5. “Now to him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to him be the glory in the assembly and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20-21)
6. “Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.” (1 John 5:14-15)
Challenging me, His Follower, to ask for anything and everything I can ask for or even imagine (‘toleo’ G) …whether or not we can be sure it’s in His will for us… is an exhilarating, and even dangerous, offer from Jesus.
The latter is exactly what Jesus did in Gethsemane on the eve of his crucifixion (Luke 22:42). This is courageous prayer, selfless prayer, prayer that brings kingdoms and releases herds of unknown elephants into your life. This is the dare of Jesus. I choose to take it?
Jesus Followers do not possess many of the things God intends for their lives for one simple reason … they have never asked! (James 4:2)
Please join me in asking!
And if you need some help before committing, check out the helpful video entitled, “What About Belief and Unanswered Prayers”. I also found inspiring the book “Praying for Your Elephant: Boldly Approaching Jesus with Radical and Audacious Prayer” by by Adam Stadtmiller.
Please let me have your questions and comments below re what you’d add to, or disagree with, about the above. Also, let me know how else I might be useful to you in any way?
Alternatively, contact me directly by clicking here re personal questions or here to be added to my S-M-A-R-TBriefing™ Mailing List. mailto:S-M-A-R-TBriefingSubscrition@PattonAssociates.ca
Blessings in Jesus all …’till next we interact!
© Copyright 2015 08 29 gfp ‘ 42™ under a “Creative Commons 4.0 License” for your not-for-profit use as you wish and without change to the following:
PattonAssociates.ca, People Development Coaches & Consultants, Toronto, ON, CAN
“Specialists in business and life coaching to measurably improve the success of professionals!”
View my Visual Resume Discover other places where we can connect.
“Change is constant and inevitable. Improvement and growth are optional!” ~ © gfp ’42™
Schedule a COMPLIMENTARY 45 min. “Coaching Call” with me by clicking here.